Saki

 Saki ran through the forest. The branches grabbed at her as she passed, scratching her and marking her trail with blood.

            “Why’d he do this? Why? He was my friend?” She tripped over a tree branch in the darkness and tumbled into a small stream. “Ow!” She pushed herself up, her hand closing on something round and hard.

            “What’s this?”

            She pulled the thing to her face. A stream of moonlight burst through the trees and illuminated a white gleaming skull.

            “Oh brother,” Saki scoffed. “Not this stupid plot point again. Next thing you know I’ll become the bride of a displaced ghost.”

            “Did someone tell you the story?” a ghost of a young boy floated through the forest. “I thought this was pretty original.”

            “Shin!” Saki turned and smiled. “I was looking for you. Did you set this up?”

            “Yes. I know how you like mysteries and this one took me three weeks to arrange. What did you think?” Shin said, floating around in a circle.

            “It was very good, but I’ve seen most of these things before. I was getting worried you’d decided to move on to the next world.” Saki stood up and brushed the dirt from her skirt. She adjusted her beanie and her randoseru backpack to stop it from biting into her back.

            “I can’t move on yet,” Shin said, puffing out his cheeks. “I still have to see your graduation. I can’t believe you’re going to junior high next month.”

            “Then don’t disappear like that. I was worried.” Saki stepped out of the bamboo grove and continued down the street. “After Chihiro disappeared like that I don’t think I’d like it if you vanished as well.”

 

Comments

Popular Posts