Day 3

Day 3
Today I looked at what was available in my city for English. I checked their website and their Facebook page and it was lacking. They had some basic information about the sights and special events but that’s it. There is over 2600 years of history summed up in a single page. The first thousand years rate a single paragraph while the next 1300 years get two paragraphs. There is so much here that is just not spoken of in any depth. Even the tourist center has no easy English. If there is something you have to ask for it. They have that sign up but it means carrying a lot of paper.
What does this have to do with blogging? Not much except that it suggests an opportunity for me to begin. This country teaches their children English from elementary school but most cannot speak well. Cram schools and private English language schools teach the children what they need to know to help them pass their tests. That’s the thing their tests. This is a test country. They love them to distraction and there are endless volumes available in bookstores to buy. Nothing about the world we actually live in.
My city has next to nothing in English easily available about Covid 19. It’s probably there but difficult to access. In addition the English translation found on the Facebook was okay but lacking. Why is it so difficult to find out the history of my area when it is so exciting. Not only is this place considered the birthplace of the Japanese culture it is also has the honor of introducing Buddhism to the rest of the world. However where is the price. I’ve been here almost 20 years but it took a random book about the history of Buddhism in Japan to tell me that. Even the museum, when I went had nothing available in English. Lots in Japanese which may have explained that but while I can understand Japanese I’m not that good.
So here is my opportunity. To explore the history and find out what makes this place tick will be a wonderful adventure. Along the way I hope to learn more about the culture I’ve immersed myself in and make some money along the way

Comments

Popular Posts